This week, Melissa Joy is joined by guest Valerie Rivera, CFP to discuss first generation wealth. Valerie founder and owner of FirstGen Wealth, a virtual fee-only practice serving early to mid-career professionals who are the first gen to build wealth in their family. She is part of the 1.5% of Latinas who holds the CFP designation and has been in financial planning for nearly 15 years. She is born and raised in Chicago where she resides with her husband and a feisty 3-year-old. You can find Valerie on LinkedIn or Twitter (@1GenWealth).
In this episode, we discuss:
- What defines first generation wealth? Valerie defines first generation as people who have crossed a threshold not previously achieved by family including college graduation, professional success, or the success of immigrant families.
- What are shared characteristics of first generation families and individuals.
- Financial planning strategies that are important for first generation clients.
First Generation Wealth – Additional resources include:
- A study was recently published highlighting analysis of the economic impact of immigration and the reasons for immigrant success for future generations.
- Article on first generation Americans supporting families and building financial success.
- 52 Pearls Epidode: Financial Wellness Through Community Work with Diana Yanez
Links are being provided for information purposes only. The information herein is general and educational in nature and should not be considered legal or tax advice. Tax laws and regulations are complex and subject to change, which can materially impact investment results. Pearl Planning cannot guarantee that the information herein is accurate, complete, or timely. Pearl Planning makes no warranties with regard to such information or results obtained by its use and disclaims any liability arising out of your use of, or any tax position taken in reliance on, such information. Consult an attorney or tax professional regarding your specific situation. Please note, changes in tax laws or regulations may occur at any time and could substantially impact your situation. Pearl Planning financial advisors do not render advice on tax matters. You should discuss any tax matters with the appropriate professional. Historical performance results for investment indices, benchmarks, and/or categories have been provided for general informational/comparison purposes only, and generally do not reflect the deduction of transaction and/or custodial charges, the deduction of an investment management fee, nor the impact of taxes, the incurrence of which would have the effect of decreasing historical performance results. It should not be assumed that your Pearl Planning account holdings correspond directly to any comparative indices or categories. Please Also Note: (1) performance results do not reflect the impact of taxes; (2) comparative benchmarks/indices may be more or less volatile than your Pearl Planning accounts; and, (3) a description of each comparative benchmark/index is available upon request.