The air is crisp and this week we are welcoming the first official days of fall! We’re fortunate to live in a community where fall traditions are abundant. Here are our favorite seasonal pastimes.
- Dexter Cider Mill is family owned and has been open since 1886. Visit Wednesday through Sunday from 8 to 5 for cider, donuts, and local wares.
- Walk on the border to border trail to see the fall colors. Park at Mill Creek Park by the fire station and enjoy the border to border trail on a bike or by walking or relax by the river while kids or grand kids play in the park.
- Our family always gets at least some of our pumpkins from Wing Farms on the corner of Zeeb and Dexter-Ann Arbor Road. You can get cider, pick the pumpkins yourself, and enjoy the scenery at a working farm.
- Blast Corn Maze offers all levels of difficulty in its intricate corn puzzles. Hold onto the kids’ hands and make sure you leave time for treats and other fall favorites like a hayride, corn cannon, photo ops and pumpkin patch.
- Dexter’s high school football team has everyone talking. After years of struggles, Dexter is trying to make its second straight playoff berth. If you’re looking for small-town Americana, it doesn’t get much better than the homecoming parade which is Friday September 27th at 1:30 pm. Line up at Monument Park and watch the high school band and floats celebrate this annual tradition. The Pearl Planning team will see you there!
- It’s dangerous working so close to the Dexter Dairy Queen and this is the perfect season for a pumpkin pie blizzard.
- The mums at the Dexter Mill look gorgeous this year. Stop by for local goods and garden supplies.
- My favorite fall tradition is Michigan football and in spite of a slow start to the season, we’ll plan to catch several games. Here’s a link to the schedule.
- Webster Township Fall Festival focuses on historic memories and “old-fashioned family fun”. It’s the last weekend in September each year.
- Apple Daze is hosted by the Dexter Lion’s club with local vendors, hayrides, and fall fun. It’s October 5, 2019 this year. We’re looking forward to seeing all the scarecrows decorated by local organizations and businesses.
- While it’s a bit of a drive from Dexter, one of my favorite family fall excursions is the Greenfield Village Halloween. Follow a pumpkin trail through elaborate costumes and displays and get into the season by dressing up yourself. Speaking of Halloween, we’ll be handing out candy to Dexter kids in Monument Park on Halloween between 1 and 4 pm.
So, what’s your favorite local fall tradition? Let us know if there’s anything we missed and see you around town!
Melissa Joy, CFP®, CDFA® is the President of Pearl Planning and a Wealth Advisor for Raymond James Financial Services. Reach out for a call today at 734.274.6744. Address: 8031 Main St. Suite 302 Dexter, MI 48130